Saturday, October 07, 2006

facehunting on a saturday nite


2 posts in one evening! madness! it's called hungover from le boy's 25th bday, people. saturday nite, and too hungover to move anywhere that is over 25 feet from the laptop.

anyhow! facehunter inspired me to share some thoughts with you. i LOVE that outfit (above). ok, this has to go back.
LEGGINGS: they are now the bane of many fashionistas, but a year ago today, i was rocking them out (white sparkly ones) with a denim mini and heels, stumbling drunkenly from bar to bar, when i got a most rude awakening.
"HEY, THE 80S CALLED! THEY WANT YOUR TIGHTS BACK!"
came the challenging and utterly unique yell out of the window of an SUV passing by. i half laughed it off, half sparked a tear in my eye, because, well, i LOVED my outfit. i had spent a long time carefully crafting the rainbow striped collared top with the huge caramel leather belt i bought in italy with the denim mini and heels, to COMPLEMENT the tights. SORRY, I WASN'T WEARING SOME BORING GAP JEANS WITH A TOP FROM CHARLOTTE RUSSE, like all the other bleached and boob-job-ed students by which i was surrounded. le sigh. anyway, after that, my love affair with leggings was tempestuous. half-rebellious, eff you, if you don't understand the utter CHIC and FUN of the leggings, half-aware of the looks i was receiving. phoenix isn't the most fashion-forward of places, and when leggings were just becoming "in," few femmes were sporting them, here.

ANYWAY, blah blah, fast-forward a year later and everyone seems to hate leggings and mock anyone who wears them. especially over at gofugyourself.com. i love them, but MAN do they rip on leggings!

so, my point is, this lady (above), captured by the facehunter in paris, eschews the current distaste for leggings and she, i think, pulls them off quite masterfully with her oversized white linen blouse and floral jacket thingie. and the headphones. and the hair! ooh. so pretty. makes me miss being a redhead. i likey the t-straps, too.

5 comments:

la femme said...

Your outfit sounds like it was pretty fab to me. Anyway, it is far better to have any kind of distinct style than don a passionless GAP ensemble.

The femme is Lily Cole. I love her coat in particular.

thetiniestspark said...

ah, of course it is! i didn't recognize her with her face downturned...such a lovely femme.

Carissa Duhamel said...

I thought those were skinnies, but now that I think of it, there is no way possible that anyone could put those on if they were made of denim.
But anyways, the outfit sounds tres cute. I've never been a fan of leggings because the girls in my town who wear them look disgusting, simply put, but when worn in an interesting fashion (as you did obviously) they can be rather edgy and save your legs when you've forgotten to shave. =]

Isabel said...

She looks so cute!

Anonymous said...

I *love* the t-straps. Must go find myself a pair this instant. I have it saved as a favorite search but have yet to turn up anything but that picture makes me want to start looking again.