Sunday, November 25, 2007

We haven't located us yet.


I've been anticipating its release for months, and tonite I was finally able to see it: The Darjeeling Limited. Wes Anderson had me at "hello" with Rushmore, and I've loved his follow-ups, though the Royal Tenenbaums was far superior than the Life Aquatic. He blends color, music, and the perfectly quirky frame like no other contemporary director, and in my opinion, this script trumpeted the rest. I'm a sucker for an indie film about familial relations, and he just totally & completely won me over with this one, so much that I had tears of life-affirming happiness by the last shot.

Jason Schwartzman, Owen Wilson, and Adrien Brody won my heart while playing out Anderson's favorite theme of sibling rivalry and dealing with their experience of being abandoned by their parents. Natalie Portman shines in a lovely short film leading up to the Darjeeling Limited. She's so effing beautiful it's ridiculous. In sum, it's my new favorite and I can't wait to see it 18 more times, because I'm obsessive like that. It will make your heart smile. I think I was smiling during the entire film, actually. : )

It helps that it was shot in India, which has been my fantasy-land for as long as I can remember. I'm trying to plot my way to get there sometime next year, as this movie made me long to go there more than I've felt since Mira Nair's Monsoon Wedding, another favorite of mine.
I was Indian in another life, it is certain. I feel a strange affinity to the country's music, literature, language, colors, writers, and photographers.


Photography of Raghubir Singh, my favorite photographer, who captures India's light and rich primary colors in a way that makes me sigh with happiness.

2 comments:

Heather said...

that's what i'm talking about!

Zaphod said...

...so kicked to see someone else like Raghubir Singh...tho I do prefer Rivers of Color to Gateway to India...