Wednesday, February 27, 2008

i feel the earth / move / under my feet

i feel the sky tumblin' down, a-tumblin' down!

Last nite, I felt my first earthquake. I was actually in the middle of writing an e-mail to Lee and I wrote, "weird! my walls are shaking. could my geeky chinese flatmate actually be getting laid????" but the shaking actually felt like it was coming from the ground and all around.

I'm quite high up, 4 stories, so it must have been a pretty big earthquake to have been felt so strongly and specifically up here. Apparently it had a magnitude 5.3 -- not bad for my first!!!! It was cool, i wish it had lasted longer than its 10 seconds. No one was hurt too badly, although Yorkshire felt it the worst, and a chimney fell on someone's legs, but I think they're doing all right now.

whee.

3 comments:

juliet small ernst said...

they have earthquakes in england?!

i'm glad no damage was done, because when there's no damage earthquakes are actually pretty cool.

"a chimney fell on someone's legs, but i think they're doing all right now. whee."

hahaha!

kei said...

^agreed, no damage = fun. once, in the summer, the earth shook in japan when i found out that i got a 5 on my ap test (it was all mr ritter!!).

the japanese get paranoid about earthquakes--i've stayed at a home where there was a construction helmet next to the bed "just in case."

Milla said...

wait!? you're from San Francisco and you had your first earthquake in London!???