Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Uh-Oh.


So for tomorrow's assignment, my boss has given me field work. I'm supposed to go around campus asking people questions regarding a certain book idea that our publishing house is planning on for next year. Now, I'm all for being outgoing and extroverted -- when I'm NOT ALONE. If I have someone, anyone else at my side, I find it fairly easy to approach people, but when I'm solo, forget it. I shut up like a goddamned clam. Or any other delicious mollusc. I don't mind having the attention on me when I know that someone else, anyone else, is already appreciating it (i.e. a friend saying "go on, do that accent for everyone," or my grandfather nudging me in a restaurant to sing that Nat King Cole song for the 12th time (I was 8)).

Ok, so this assignment is pushing me to go beyond my comfort boundaries. Fine. Oof, but fine. But then my boss, J, goes "Kira, think of it! You can meet some pretty boys! You have a great excuse to talk to them."

"J, I TOLD you how I act when I'm interested in someone. I avoid all contact and patently ignore them. So clearly, tomorrow, I'll just be talking to unattractive guys and a whole lot of girls."

"Kira, pretty boys are part of our demographic, too. And if you have to ask for their age, mobile number, and marital status, then so be it."

--love my boss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you and your cousin, Max aren't so different after all!