Tuesday, June 10, 2008

gewd fewd.

I've been tagged by the lovely Ms. Flora to answer a few quick preferences about food, food, glorious food. Flora & I both worked on these books at Otterbach & Partners publishing company. She did all the illustrations for both books, and they're fan-bloody-tastic. I even have one of them hanging in my room, a dog that's a dog-walker (incidentally, one of the 7 beloved jobs I held last year in Phoenix).


Her post is here, replete with her own drawings (!) as answers. My answers will not include my own drawings because 1) it would look really bad 2) i don't have a computer anymore, mine's broken and i'm waiting til i go home in july to invest in an ibook.

anyhow, my answers, onwards!

1. One thing I don't like: Any kind of melon. And olives.

2. 3 of my favorite foods: Frosting (or frosting'd foodstuffs), fish-heavy maki rolls, massive apple pancake from Walker Brothers (Chicago)

(photo via eszter's flickr)

3. My favorite recipe: Mejadarah (Arab vegetarian dish with lentils & rice) from one of my favourite new restos in London, found here

4. My drink: Lemonade tinkling in a glass with ice on a summer porch somewhere

5. The dish I wish I could cook: Hmm...the vegetarian lasagna my friend alex made from Jamie Oliver's cookbook. That was amazing. Also, my mom's Texas Sheet Cake, the best chocolate cake in the world. (and i'm not really all that keen on chocolate)

6. My best food memory: My first trip to Europe, 9 years old. Paper-thin sandwiches inlaid with diaphanous slices of cucumber brought to our luxurious Oxford hotel on a silver platter, underneath a fancy serving dome (what are those called?).

I'll cheat: that memory AND at my sister's wedding dinner in the heart of Tuscany, on a terrace overlooking the Tuscan countryside, 8 courses of black truffle-decorated pasta, fish, rabbit, and the biggest mixed fruit tart mine eyes hath ever seen.

Have a go? ripelondon, touchtouch, & gill, I tag thee.

5 comments:

Flora said...

Thanks Kira!

juliet small ernst said...

hooray! all over it.

also, that mejadarah looks good. and that apple pancake. and i don't like olives, either. and the covers to those books are great!

Anonymous said...

even kalamada olives? They're so yum in that icky kind of way. I guess that's what they call an aquired taste.

tapecase | r s e said...

i dislike ALL melons too! i don't think i have met anyone else who felt the same. i don't like when other fruits take on that soft melon taste. oh but i love olives...

Cecilia Levy said...

Great post! I love your description of your best best food memory. They're called "cloche" (the fancy serving dome). At least that's what we called them at the fancy french restaurant I used to work in, here in Sweden.