Saturday, May 24, 2008

i was willing to wait forever, and she was giving him five more minutes.

In this podcast interview with personal hero o' mine, miranda july (thoughtfully sent over by mahboob who knew i would love it), one thing in particular she said struck a chord: "The 20s are about longing," she says. "You're using your desires as a type of engine, and then by your 30s it feels like you're burnt out on those desires and you're finding other reasons , or the real reasons, why you wanted to do those things in the first place."


Lately, I've sort of been feeling nothing but longing. Longing for what in particular, I'm not exactly sure, but I feel fixed in a state of wistfulness.

It's getting warmer, I'm feeling restless, I'll be moving flats soon, I'll be travelling to berlin & greece soon, I'll be starting my dissertation soon, I'll be reunited with meg soon, I'll be seeing my mom again soon (it's been almost 6 months!), maybe I'll be falling in love soon (one can hope for such magical things), but none of that is happening yet. And I have so many creative projects I want to start and so many hopes for this next year in London, and worries about $ and career paths & sacrificing myself to The Man when I'd really just like to make my own hours and write and carve a life out of non-corporate creativity, but....there's rent to pay. And student loans to re-pay. Ah.

Anyhow, give her a listen, it's a lovely little interview (force yourself to continue beyond the frighteningly bad intro song).



The Sound of Young America: Miranda July

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

All so true.

I hear you. We are on the same boat, one that spans oceans and whole continents and has on board so many like us, younglings, who yearn for a life of meaning and purpose and daring and a chance to be happy.

I hear you. We'll get there. :-)

Anonymous said...

This is the other one I was talking about. I found the interviewer to be incredibly annoying but that just further highlights Ms July's fabulousness.

http://defunktion.net/?cat=8

I like your clothes