Thursday, October 25, 2007

Harrods & Cheap Curry


Today was SUPERB. I set my alarm early to go to yoga & do homework, so instead I slept til 11 and took myself to Harrods. YES.

Stepping above ground from the Knightsbridge tube stop (even the TUBE stop sounds posh), throngs of people were crowded around the sub-par pre-Christmas Harrod's windows, tourists taking photos and eating Krispy Kremes (there is an enormous Krispy Kreme selection at Harrods, of all places.)

I glided through the cosmetics hall, food halls (lots of meat, blech), and perfumerie halls, & headed straight for the goods: Women's Fashion: Contemporary Designs. yeaahhhhhhhhh. You see, my dad just informed me that I had a forgotten bank account in California from Matilda royalties, and I joyously have a magical stash of money. It's not enormous, but it's just enough to blow on a couple of really expensive designer pieces, which is of course what came to mind as I was fondling Chloe dresses, Mossimo sweaters, and Calvin Klein shift dresses.

I thought ah, what the hell. May as well just TRY some things on... as long as I have this "free" money and all. So I tried on this gorgeous slate grey See by Chloe tube dress, a Sonia Rykiel pleated skirt, and a fantastic Vivienne Westwood (red label) vest top.

But alas, the Chloe dress was too big and they didn't have anything smaller. I tried it on with a Kenzo turtleneck underneath, which was apparently how it was shown in the Chloe lookbook, but wasn't such a fan of the combo. Better for my wallet, I suppose, because I would have TOTALLY bought that dress had it fit properly. Sigh. Would have been my first REAL designer item. The Sonie Rykiel skirt was underwhelming, and I lovvvvvvvved the Vivienne Westwood top but couldn't QUITE justify the price tag, especially when converted to dollars.




So, feeling quite virtuous, I promptly headed over to Laduree, THE hottest tea spot in London. It's a Parisian cafe that makes the best macaroons, some say, in the world: they invented the double-decker macaroon.

I ordered a Melange tea of rose, cinnamon, vanilla, and violet infusions, which was heavenly: fruity and creamy all at once. I also ordered 4 macaroons but was only able to eat 3. Two pistachio and one vanilla, and there are no words for their taste. Without a doubt the best macaroons I've ever had: perfectly soft, nutty/creamy interior, with a sugared wafer shell that melts most
democratically into the cream with each bite. Fantastic.

view from my most fortuitous wee corner table on the red velvet balcony:

And my personal favorite, the sign in the Patisserie halls:

Sorry, it's blurry.
"CUSTOMERS ARE REQUESTED NOT TO EAT THEIR PURCHASES IN THE STORE."

hahahaha. So English. So perfect.

Then, Rebecca came over & we made the most delicious curry dinner EVAR, using an enormous bottle of curry R bought for ONLY 6p !!!!!!!!!!!! UNHEARD OF. look, proof:


More frosting converts:
Rebecca


Kev, Rebecca's boyfriend

Converting the world to buttercream, one human at a time.

3 comments:

kei said...

That dress is hawt! Do keep the world updated with your fashion adventures plz. I've never cared much for London but you're doing a fine job of PR for them! I need that tea, sounds gooood.

Mr R Rabbit said...

Very nice outfits.

You're making me miss the days when I could afford to go up to London and enjoy myself a bit.

And no frosting thanks, I'm being healthy.

santhana s said...

ok, so when did you move to london and how come i didn't know about it??!! insanely jealous! i've been away from the internet far too long...