Tuesday, October 23, 2007

pedestrians are the old black

I'm beginning to think that pedestrians totally do NOT have the right of way here. It's never something I bothered to inquire about, as my Amerrogant worldview assumed that England would be the same in terms of driving/walking rules, but it does not seem so, my friends.

Even if it is a rule here, it's certainly not the rule of THUMB, as pedestrians certainly do not get the same tip of the politesse hat here as they do in the States. I've almost been run over like THREE TIMES, and that's been when I've looked both ways on a quiet side street, judged it safe to cross, and as I'm midway through the intersection, some insanely large garbage truck comes swerving into my crosswalk from around the corner and I'm faced with a frighteningly metallic future. I've either leaped backwards or ran forwards to avoid this future, and am subsequently met with angry stares or muted yelling faces as opposed to the Stateside norm of apologetic hand signals from the driver and mouthed sorry!s. I'll have to look this one up.

(Sure, the Big Ben in the distance looks nice, but that looming traffic signal in the foreground is VASTLY underappreciated.)

2 comments:

Emma said...

I share your anger.
Brill post!

Mr R Rabbit said...

What you need to learn is how to properly time crossing the road such as to provide maximum irritation to drivers, at minimal risk to yourself. It requires a high level of skill and is best perfected after a few pints, and in the company of someone both more experienced and preferably more sober.