Wednesday, October 10, 2007

you shall above all things be glad & young.

~e.e. cummings


meg & i in front of Dennis Sever's house, a brilliant, atmospheric home/art gallery that transports you back to 18th century London.

And I get gladder by the day. I've had a particularly good past few days. I'm both enjoying my solitude while also making the effort to befriend those around me.

About 10 classmates gathered after class to go grab a pint in the student union, and I gotta say, it felt so good to be around chatty Americans again. There was a very nice English guy in the bunch who came with, but it was fun to talk about American cities, college, LSATs, and debate the be
nefits of San Francisco vs. New York vs. Chicago vs. Boston with those who truly know these cities. It was fun. And I learned that other people hate this student complex, too! So I'm not alone. However, two exciting new prospects for brightening up my room/heart arrived today in the not-anymore-on-strike-Royal Mail:

Mommy #2 Diane sent me an enormous king-sized duvet to double over and put on top of my horrifically springy twin-sized mattress. And OH! what a difference it makes! I feel like Princess & the Pea on this thing. It's marvelous, and adds a good three feet of height to what USED TO BE my pathetic little bed. Whee!! Thank you diane!!!!!!!!! It took a few biomedical engineering students to help me rip off the packing tape on that thing, but lo! once I got thru! it was GOOD.


And in this delightful package from ms. kirsten, high school best friend extraordinaire, i received some of my favorite things in life:
-raibow chip buttercream frosting (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) (i can dip SALTINES into this and feel heaven. it makes anything delicious. ANYTHING. an ex-boyfriend once put it on sushi for me, to mix my two favorite foods, and IT WAS STILL DELICIOUS.)
-mini-butterfingers!!
-sour neon gummy worms!!!
-photos from home
-bookmark, because i do lots, and lots, and lots of reading here, and she knows that. : )

so, thank you, wonderful kirsten. you made my evening. my dessert arrived all the way from america. how lovely.

and in other good news, my thai flatmate's friends came over for dinner the other night and helped me solve my Cup Problem. You see, I mailed some house things over before i arrived, and in the box was some stacked urban outfitters drinking cups. Well, once I unpacked, I could NOT un-stick them from each other, so I've been goofily drinking out of a trombone-like stack of three cups in one for 3 weeks. Not anymore!


It may have taken a stove, a sink, soap, a saucepan, boiling & freezing water & some good ol' Thai determination, because these boys FINALLY separated my cups, albeit after about a half-hour of laboratory experimentation.

6 comments:

kei said...

Weren't you surrounded by enginerds at ASU too? No offense to any of them; Zi Yang has solidified my love for enginerds. Oh wait, he's a med student now, but whatever, he's still loveable.

thetiniestspark said...

haha yes. i'm destined to live around, and feel intellectually inferior to, math whizzes foreVAR.

journaler said...

omg kirraaa halllllooo ca vaaa??

you're in england!? and surrounded by asians, i like.

pqrt,

Richard

Unknown said...

Engineers - complicated movements with hot and cold water to take advantage of heat expansion

Technicians - take a hammer and smash two of the cups, but if there are complaints point out that the third cup is still intact

Artists - the stack has artistic merit and should be left undisturbed

Joe said...

lots of reading? i think your time would be better spent tending to virtual flowers
perhaps kei and i should start an animal crossing/ds fund for you

also i think over in the uk theres a store franchise called 'GAME' which pleases me greatly with its directness

-joe

travel notes said...

Ooh you lucky girlie! I'm glad to be reading that you're settling into Landan (read with stereotypical cockney accent)!
RE a visit... at this stage I'm not sure if I will be going home via LDN... because I will be super super skint after excessive expenditure here in Paris... BUT you are there for the foreseeable future and I think I may come down on the Megabus (check it out if you ever fancy a super cheap visit to a random place) at Christmas. It will be a lovely time with all the xmas lights - and I will most certainly bring my eyelashes! I bought a huge tube of glue so I can give you some!
So I will let you know what I'm doing! xxx