Sunday, January 18, 2009

a sky that is gaping and yawning


This weekend: a romantical Saturday nite date with two 11-year olds at the lovely uncommon ground,  a ridiculously delicious birthday dinner at sushi samba (melted mozzarella on my salmon maki? YESPLEASE), and two movies I am completely ashamed of having paid for, one of which I actually enjoyed. (under no circumstances should you cave to some sort of base comic instinct to go see Mall Cop. Granted, the 11-year olds dragged me to it, but I was thisclose to offering the mother next to me my services pacing up and down the lobby with her crying kid, it would have been more entertaining than the suckfest on the screen.) And yeah, as much as I normally can't stand romantic comedies/any movie Kate Hudson ever makes (except Almost Famous, obvs), Bride Wars was...actually pretty goddamn entertaining. ::Dodges flying fruit:: Above-average dialogue and two cute stars helped alleviate the uber-ridiculous premise. Shhh, I know, I know! 

It felt sort of good to see such stupid movies, though. I normally never go see those types of films but it felt like I was cheering myself up out of the recession with some Hollywood banality. Well, Bride Wars made me feel that way. Mall Cop just really, really bored me. Driving to the theater, the sweet 11-year old girl I babysit asked me which movie theater we were headed towards. 

When I told her, she responded "Is that the theater with all the black people?"
"Uhhh, I don't know...maybe??"
"Oh. Well, I don't like that one."
"Why...??!" I asked, mildly panicked about the Potential Serious Conversation ahead.
"They don't have the type of pretzels I like there."
Phew.
I am looking forward to escaping the Midwest in T minus 9 days if for no other reason than my exasperation with this bout of weather evocative of a 19th century Mongolian gulag. Everyone walks around looking more than slightly pained. My eyeliner is practically all cried away by the time I arrive, bleary-eyed and frozen-fingered, to the train stop. Plus, the -40 windchill is seriously cramping my sartorial range. Boots, or other boots? Two, or three layers of socks? I grow weary of my dog hair-ridden wool coat and too lazy to seek out a de-linter. 

Other activities I find far too boring to bother with:
*Flossing
*Stretching
*Backing up computer files
*Checking bank statements

Photo 1 here, Photo 2 via ffffound

4 comments:

Crispin Best said...

that's cute about the pretzels

you can't get the right pretzels anywhere over here.

Anonymous said...

Try tape. It's a cheap de-linter.

kei said...

Take me with you!! And Kevin James wasn't at least kind of funny, in a Homer Simpson kind of way? You should've taken them to see 'Notorious'!

Anonymous said...

i have this weird urge to see bridewars :c