Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Londonist-lovin'.

My happiest recent news is that Londonist blog accepted me as their newest contributor. In case you haven't been before, Londonist is part of the worldwide "ist" blogs, including among them Seattlist, LAist, Chicagoist, etc. Now I'll have another forum for sharing my explorations of what art, culture, food, drink, and general mirth this lovely city has to offer.

My first piece is here, on the Tate exhibition of my new favo(u)rite artist, Peter Doig.



Snowscapes are viewed as though between the blink of an eye, and wintry watery scenes portray shadowy figures.

His compositions are truly stunning, these small photos serve his complex canvases no justice. His work reminds me of the poetry of fellow Canadians Elizabeth Bishop or Margaret Atwood, who also explore the tension between the fear and awe that nature inspires.

My husband walks in the frosted field
an X, a concept
defined against a blank,
he swerves, enters the forest
and is blotted out.

–Margaret Atwood, The Wereman.

At the Tate thru April 27th. Photos courtesy of the Tate website and Liverpool Art Museum website.

2 comments:

tapecase | r s e said...

ongratulations on your 1st post!

journaler said...

that first painting is stunning

congrats!