Monday, March 31, 2008

we watch the fireworks drip on some faces

Oh, BB. You make me feel so wee, in an overwhelmingly good way.
.

more of gorgeous st. james's park

This is pretty much the most unintentionally hilarious burial plaque (is it a tombstone if it's flat?). "He dedicated his life to the abbey -- oh yeah, and also that wife of his or whatever."


houses of parliament

After I got out of the gym yesterday evening, still slightly hungover from saturday's inanity -- did I really stay at that party until the trains began rolling again at 7:30 in the morning? Were there really people dancing around to Daft Punk remixes with horse-head masks brought over from Japan? Was there really that much vodka? Did I really have to drink as much as I did just because it was free? Were people really dressed in gold spandex unitards and did I really unzip someone's (from the back!) because Mark dared me? And how can I find a flat as cool as Sam's?

Anyway -- I planned on just having a little wander around the back streets of Tottenham Court Road area, which then led me through the twisted streets of Soho, and then up Bond Street and up all through Green Park, alighting on Buckingham Palace just as the Daylight Savings Time magic ended and the sun dimmed and it started getting cool again.

I love how walkable it is here, how what can start as a half-hearted stroll can end in covering a lot of London ground and on the way, seeing things that make my chest puff with wonder at all the small lovely things in the world-- candy shops, cute boys in glasses, trendy gay couples parking their motorbikes, book shops closing, alleyways hiding restaurant gems, well-heeled men cusping old age walking down the streets with their arms behind their back, one hand clasping the other's wrist. I don't know what it is about that image that makes me so goofily happy, maybe it reminds me of all the old Italian men wandering aimlessly through all the Sunday streets of Rome when I called it home.

So many un-photographable moments here to capture and keep !

1 comment:

juliet small ernst said...

1. i can't get over how pretty that park is!

2. that tombstone is hilarious. oh yeah, his wife. haha!

3. look here because everytime i see it i think of you and where you are:

http://thisisnaive.com/?page_id=104

whee!