Thursday, August 28, 2008

between not yet & back then

When asked if her latest collection of stories was autobiographical, Margaret Atwood responded "There has to be some blood in the cookie to make the Gingerbread Person come alive."

I feel strangely connected and drawn to almost every phrase that has ever flown out of her fingertips. Actually, I'm sure her words don't fly. She is deliberate, cunning, and incisive; when I read her I think of sharp blades, glinting off a reflective surface.

you fit into me 
like a hook into an eye

a fish hook
an open eye

I've been spending a lot of time with her words recently, thanks to a looming dissertation deadline, but even boundless theory and dissecting the shit out of her prose hasn't killed my love for her yet. So that's good.

Also I like that she's calling b.s. on theory: "I tried for the longest time to find out what deconstructionism was. Nobody was able to explain it to me clearly...You can read any text any way. You can read it standing on your head. You can use it for toilet paper. It's not a statement about the text. It's a statement about the user." (Ingersoll, Conversations with Margaret Atwood)

Speaking of powerful and creative womyn, Kate Orne's photography is equally resonant. She uses her art to draw attention to sex workers in Pakistan, photographing the interstices of Islam and brothels. 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I tried for the longest time to find out what deconstructionism was."

It's a bit like constipation, so I'd recommend Ex-lax.

Anonymous said...

the photo of the window is certainly stunning

molly said...

margaret atwood is a bit of a god. so glad you're digging on her in a big way.

Paul Pincus said...

my partner photographed margaret atwood!