Sunday, August 31, 2008

forever growing centipedes

Friday nite began on my 5th floor rooftop, peeking out over London turning a darker shade of grey. After being cooped up in the library for the past week, I treated myself to a wholehearted night out -- meg & i went to see synth-rock group The Faint at Cargo, probably the coolest space I've ever been to in London and, happily, just around the corner from my doorstep. I was expecting a dinky, dirty little industrial warehouse type space, but instead we were treated to a fanciful graffiti-painted interior, maroon leather banquettes, and a spacious Caribbean terrace. A club with a tapas menu? yesplz. It was like the freaking facehunter up in there, everywhere I looked was a street style photog's wet dream.

The Faint, of course, was an incredible, energetic, sweaty, charged live act, a way more impressive and personal show than the one we saw in phoenix 2 years ago. Much to the chagrin of some british bitches who literally held their arms out to stop us from moving forward, meg and i got within arm's reach of the stage. (don't they know nasty looks and too-loud kvetching are the only acceptable forms of protest?) we survived the mosh-pit-come-scrum with only filthy feet to show for it, which made me feel really bad later on in another bar when a perhaps fatally drunk english guy who stepped on my foot got on bended knee and insisted on kissing my ankle to make it better.
anyhowz. Todd came on stage in a lab coat and aviator goggles, which was, of course, incredibly zexxy. Jacob Thiele, who we saw DJ at coachella awhile back did some serious elvis-worthy hip swirves around his synthesizer. 

you know those shows you wish you could close your eyes and fully repeat over & over & over again? this was one of them. good thing they're coming back in november.

No comments: