Thursday, September 11, 2008

close your eyes, and keep them closed.


Saw Blow Up at the BFI tonite. I had only seen a clip before, in my Italian cinema class I took in Rome 4 years ago, images from which have stubbornly stuck with me ever since. A cool, plodding, mod exploration of the violence in voyeurism and the problematic nature of perception. 

Anyone care to explain the significance of the mimes, though? The silent book-ends of the film, we're sure there must be something vast and important at work there but we couldn't quite grasp what it was.

2 comments:

Milla said...

Used to love the BFI. Sigh...it seems like I do miss some things about London

Unknown said...

Hey Kira! It's Danny -- Juliet's friend! I was just doodling about the internet and linked to your blog from hers...

I too love Blow Up! and I adore the final mime-scene - so had to post a response. My understanding is that the whole film is about phenomenology somehow -- what we think/choose to perceive or not, and for what motivations.

Just thought I'd put my two cents in! Love your blog and hope to chat when you get back to the states - did you know I'm in our old hometown now?!