Tuesday, September 23, 2008

water descends and sheets me like an eel


decomP magazine is publishing a poem o' mine in its December issue! HUZZAH HUZZAH HUZZAH. what lovely news to read first thing in the morning. i like all these very much, especially the very last one by brandi wells.

the other day on the tube, whilst listening to last days (the haunting, insistent piano bit of 'mountains' especially) and reading Woolf's The Waves, tears actually sprang to my eyes, I felt overwhelmed with the beauty of it all. Try listening to this song and reading Woolf, which is such an intensely visual text, a full-on cinematic journey through the senses that you will feel as though you were dropped into a hushed movie theatre of your own. 

I ripple. I am thrown over you like a net of light. I lie quivering flung over you. I saw her kiss him. I saw them, Jinny and Louis, kissing. Now I will wrap my agony inside my pocket-handkerchief. It shall be screwed tight into a ball. I will take my anguish and lay it upon the roots under the beech trees.

As they neared the shore each bar rose, heaped itself, broke and swept a thin veil of white water across the sand. The wave paused, and then drew out again, sighing like a sleeper whose breath comes and goes unconsciously. 

If you live in New York, you absolutely must see Kate Mitchell's stage adaptation of The Waves when it comes to Broadway. I have never been more captivated by a theatre production in my entire life, they captured every sound, every image, every nuance of Woolf's masterful text with such unprecedented innovation, incorporating water, cameras and live film, photography, projection, shelves of bits and bobs to create the necessary sounds, oh, oh, it was so impressive. It's coming to Broadway soon.


6 comments:

juliet small ernst said...

congratulations!!! i don't think i have ever read your poetry...i guess i'll just have to wait til it's PUBLISHED HEYO.

molly said...

Oh Congrats! That is SO exciting!!!

Milla said...

Congratulations! That is awesome!

Anonymous said...

the waves was intense for me too miss

Anonymous said...

and, oh, huzzah indeed, i really need to get on submitting my crapppp

Paul Pincus said...

congratulations! that's amazing news!!! : )