Wednesday, September 10, 2008

six to eight black men

a rather lovely lady took me to see the always-delightful david sedaris speak tonight at the Bloomsbury Theatre. Several years ago in chicago, I waited for hours in line to meet him and have my copy of me talk pretty one day signed. I think I blurted out something seriously lame about Paris when I finally got to meet him. Holidays on Ice is probably one of the most hilarious collections of short stories of all time, and I re-read 'the santaland diaries' every christmas. it is the literary realization of all of my secret Christmas-baby fantasies of working in the north pole -- er, mall -- with santa. {hey, if i can get my uber-jew ex-boyfriend with a rabbi father to love christmas, i can get anyone to love christmas.}

In the q&a session, someone asked Sedaris what he thought about the "election thing" and he talked about how scary the undecided voters are -- that being "Undecided" in this election is akin to being on a flight and offered the choice between chicken, and human shit riddled with shards of glass, and asking "well, how is the chicken cooked...?"

oh sedaris, i love thee.

5 comments:

juliet small ernst said...

on our last road trip we listened to his entire canon on cd (just about). the part of "santaland diaries" where the irate lady yells at him "i'm going to have you fired!" and he responds, in a menacing whisper, "i'm going to have you...killed."

hahaha! also, best and most eerie billie holiday impression ever.

love him and his sister, too.
love you more, though.

Paul Pincus said...

i've seen him speak twice. AMAZING and brilliant. of course i also love amy. genius clearly runs in that family! cheers.

Anonymous said...

Well, scary if you're a Democrat I suppose.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear scary.

molly said...

fucking brilliant. i love this man. i've read tons of his work and am always doubled over laughing, but for some reason, when i've heard him read on the radio, i haven't much enjoyed it (i don't like being "read to" anyway, but...) so, i'm glad to hear that you liked hearing him speak. hope to do so some day, too!